This lesson will get you well on your way to being an independent kiteboarder. By combining our progressive Level I ,II & III lesson plans over one or 2 days, you can be up and kiteboarding in as little as 6 hours and for a great price!
Our goal as an IKO center is that you become a safe and independent kiteboarder. This lesson will give you all the fundementals needed for that. Learning how to ride all in one day can often lead to rapid progression. This is especially true for those with some previous board riding or kite piloting experience.
You will be learning about the gear at the start of this lesson. After we all get to know each other a little you will start by getting on your safety gear and a waist harness and then you will prepare to fly a 4 line inflatable kite.
During Level I you will learn:
- About the IKO.
- That kiteboarding is safe, easy and fun to learn.
- How to inflate and set up a 4 line kite.
- How to lay out and walk your lines.
- How to rig your kite.
- To use all safety systems.
- Basic kiteboarding wind theory.
- Site and Safety awareness.
- Beach/Launchsite etiquette.
- To perform an assisted launch and landing.
- Proper piloting techniques.
- Power management techniques.
- One handed piloting.
- On land Self Rescuing/Kite recovery techniques.
- That you should’ve taken a KGB Kiteboarding lesson sooner.
During Level II you will learn:
- How to set up your board for riding.
- How to water relaunch your kite.
- 3 different bodydragging techniques.
- How to get up on the board.
- On-water self rescue techniques.
- Rules of the road.
- Wind/Weather effects.
- About the gear you will need to get.
- That you are really going to love kiteboarding.
During Level III you will learn:
- To perfect your kite control skills.
- How to get up and ride on the board in both directions.
- Board stance and upwind edging techniques.
- On-water kite recovery and self rescue techniques.
- Advanced piloting techniques.
- Turning or transitions
- How to stow your gear.
- What and where to practice next.
- That you are now fully addicted to kiteboarding.
At the end of this lesson most students are ready to get all the kiting gear needed to start praticing independently. Some students do however desire or require further instruction. For those we recommend a second Level III lesson or private lessons. Proper instruction and continuing to practice soon thereafter are vital when learning this sport.
We encourage you to add a friend to your lesson and can offer you a discount if you do.
We are open for lessons daily. Start times for the 6 hour lesson are 10:30 am and 3:30 pm. Lessons must be completed in 1 or 2 days. Students are encouraged to arrive at least 15mins prior to scheduled lesson start time.
To schedule your lesson please click on the Get Scheduled button at checkout or sign up under Lessons at the top of this page.
We will contact you to confirm weather conditions, location and start time.This can be a full day lesson so please bring something to eat. All 6 hr students will receive a discount on the purchase of a complete new kite gear package.(Subject to availability, weather permitting from April-October).